Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I'm Just Sayin'

"Jett and Nano-You can learn a lot from a 3 year old!"
                                          I’m Just Sayin’”
                                                                 by Alan P. Scaglione
Who knew?
Is there anything better…than playing with your grandchild?
Just brings it all into perspective, doesn’t it?
It doesn’t matter what’s going on in the world…
For that moment in time…
When your 3 year old grandson says, “Nano, let’s play!”
The whole world just stops and you take a “Time Out”…
And all is well with the world.
Jett is learning to say so many things.
The funniest of things is just a simple phrase…
 “Thank You!”
Jett took me by the hand and led me into his playroom…
Where I walked into “Thomas The Train-Land”!
My grandson is obsessed with all things Thomas!
You would think that he has every known Thomas and Friends train built.
But, in his 3 year old, angelic sounding voice, he tells you
“I need moving James and TakeAlong Thomas!”
What was he talking about?
And who is James and which Thomas is NOT a take along?
Jett knows his trains.
He starts to educate his Nano.
He points out James is Thomas’s friend, but…”this” James doesn’t move!
His face shows disappointment…how sad and yet, how sweet a look…
He picks up his prized Thomas the Train and says,
 “Here Nano, you can play with my Thomas!”
I feel so honored—he gave me his favorite Thomas to play with.
This kid really DOES like me!
So…I tell Jett, “I like your room!”
He says, “Thank You!”
I say, “I love your toy trains!”
He says, “Thank You!”
I tell him how cool his room looks…
He smiles and says “Thank You!”
Jett then turns and says to me
Nano, I say Thank You a lot!”
I just bust out laughing…
And I tell him…”Jett, it’s important to always say Thank You for what you have!”
I wonder why we seem to lose that appreciation as life goes on?
We must lose it somewhere between 3 and 13!
Check out the average teenager…not many saying Thank You for anything.
They just assume they are entitled to so much…cell phone, IPad, Privacy!
Wonder who taught them that they were entitled to those things???
I wonder.
Maybe it’s the people they spend the most time with?
That used to be their parents…Today, not so sure…
Why is it that a 3 year old can teach us to just say “Thank you!” for all we have.
There’s an old song that says “Give thanks, with a grateful heart!”
And there’s the Ten Lepers in the Bible. Luke 17:15-18
15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
Jesus healed all of them, but only one returned to say “Thank You!”
It’s so important that we teach our children to be grateful…by saying 2 simple words.
We live in a world that is just so assuming…
It’s just a cancer that has taken over our nation—“assumption!”
I call it that air of entitlement!
Like the world owes you something… just because you think they do!
We feel entitled to get what we want…and incensed when we don’t get it.
There’s not a sense of appreciation for receiving something from someone.
And maybe it all starts…at 3?
Maybe we can learn something from a 3 year old…
Or from a leper?
Just to stop and say “Thank You!”
Two little words just show so much appreciation…and go such a long way!
Maybe we need to practice those two words a lot more often.
Just try it this week—say “Thank You” more than usual.
I dare ya!
Maybe you will say “I like to say thank you a lot!”
Guess you really can learn a lot from a 3 year old.
I know I am thankful for an evening with my grandson.
And for the privilege of playing with Thomas the Train!
Until Next Time
I’m Just Sayin’…
Brother “A”
SELECT the link BELOW!   SEND me Email!   Share your thoughts!

Ask Alan the Author

No comments:

Post a Comment