Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I'm Just Sayin by Alan P. Scaglione

“Shane-Alan-Chris: 2 brothers and...a godfather!”
“I’m Just Sayin’”


by Alan P. Scaglione

Is it ever too late to reconnect with someone you walked away from, years ago?

Is it possible to forgive and forget…to not let the absence of the past sabotage the possibility of restoration?

Some people say, it’s never too late to renew a relationship; others say, too much water under the bridge.

Made me wonder…is it ever too late to reconnect?

I had an opportunity to reunite with someone very important to me…my godson.

Kind of funny, he has my my name as his middle name. Maybe he’s heard about me, over the years, but…

I hadn’t seen him since he was 4 or 5 years old. Shane just turned 30—you do the math!

He barely remembered me, but I have never forgotten him. I have wondered through the years, how did he turn out?

Would he ever even want to know me? Could we ever reconnect after all this time had passed? Could I be a godfather to my godson?

When a relationship is ruptured, for whatever the reason; both sides wonder if it’s possible to restore.

We assume that there’s no way to restore a relationship—sometimes we are the saboteur because…we assume a rejection, not a reconnection!

I wanted to meet my godson. I really wanted to have the chance to rebuild a relationship, to restore the rupture, to reconnect!

I kept asking myself…I wonder if God gets this excited at the prospect of a prodigal coming home?

You remember the story…younger son decides he wants his inheritance now so he can go out on his own. Father grants his wish, although he waits for his son to return home, hoping the son will realize that there really is “no place like home!” Son squanders his inheritance and ends up eating the same food as the pigs and says, “even the hired help at home has it better than I do. I will see if I can just go home and work as hired help.” Son turns down the street to his home, not sure if he will be received or rejected. Father sees his Son! He has been waiting for his son to come home. Father runs to his son! Father embraces his son! Father celebrates his son’s return home. Father places the family ring on his son’s hand and states, “my son has come home!” The true example of restored relationships!(Luke 15:11-32)

That’s how God feels when we come home to Him. He doesn’t remind us of all the time we were away or all we missed while we were gone. He welcomes us, in His loving arms, and receives us back into His heart and heavenly home. Our Father waits and welcomes each of his sons home! He waits…for you!



So…back to meeting Shane. When I first saw him, I was grinning ear to ear. He smiled and extended his handshake. I’m a hugger, but…I knew… just take whatever he is offering and build on that. We talked and laughed and ate and visited with his brother Chris and their families.

3 hours went by like that!

I couldn’t believe it was time to go, but relieved- it had been a relaxed conversation--I was hopeful.

As I started to leave, I reached out my hand to shake his…

And then, it happened…

He reached out…and gave me a hug!

My heart was bursting with joy- my godson was hugging me! I wanted to shout! I wanted to scream!

…but, I just quietly hugged him back.

While I was embracing my godson for the first time in 25 years…

I wondered?

Does God feel this good when we come home?

And I smiled-- I bet He does.



Until next time,

I’m Just Sayin’…

Brother “A”

No comments:

Post a Comment