Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm Just Sayin by Alan P. Scaglione

“Sometimes, you meet someone you will never forget!”

                                    

   I’m Just Sayin’”
                                                                                    by Alan P. Scaglione
Wow! Has it really been 10 years?
10 years since what, you might ask…
Ten years since I performed the funeral of my best friend Ellen Bullard.

She was 42, and she had succumbed to cancer after a brave 18 month battle!
She was strong, she was fierce, she was focused, she was convinced…
She would be the Lance Armstrong of stomach cancer.
She was wrong.

And her friends gathered on a Monday night, all 145 of us, as I performed her memorial service.
We laughed, we cried; we testified, we reminisced—all about a girl who thought she was nothing special.
She said, “I’m just as common as peas and carrots!”
But we knew…there was nothing common about her!

I then travelled to North Carolina and preached her funeral and laid her to rest.
End of story?
Apparently not… 10 years later, we all gathered through facebook and email, sharing memories of our dearly departed friend.
It was great to hear others tell of times they spent with her.
I shared moments from our 32 year relationship as brother and sister.
Like the time she and I were traveling too fast down the interstate, on my way to show her my dorm room at Law School,
And we were going around a curve in my putt-putt pinto(anybody remember those? They blew up if you hit them in the rear!)
And, as I am making the curve, I realize…my gas pedal is stuck!! Going 80 miles an hour…the pedal is stuck!!
I look at her, she looks at me and starts cracking up laughing and screams “Bud, we’re on a Death Trip!”
Needless to say, we made the corner, broke loose the gas pedal and made it to law school…at least for a little while!

And ten years later…we still remember her…still share her life…still tear up and laugh at the thought of her.
Not bad for peas and carrots!

What is it about one person that so many still are affected by their presence and memory – that it still emotes feelings, years later.

My mom used to always tell me…
 “As long as you talk about them, reminisce about them, share them with others who may not have known them—you keep them alive!”

Every once in a while, someone comes along who affects people so profoundly, they leave an indelible mark on all who meet them!

Kind of like Jesus did!

Did you know that the Bible is STILL the #1 best selling book of ALL TIME!!
That’s right—of all time!

And why would we still be talking about someone we never physically met, only have heard others talk about and can only read a book to learn about.
And yet…He still changes lives unto this day!

The Word says in Philippeans 2:5-11:

Take a moment to remember how much He’s done for you…
Share a memory of how HE’s answered your prayers…
And just speak the Name above all names…Jesus!

Until Next Time
I’m Just Sayin’…
Brother “A”
SELECT the link BELOW!   SEND me Email!   Share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment