Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, March 6, 2011

"I'm Just Sayin" by Alan P. Scaglione

“I’m Just Sayin’
by Alan P. Scaglione

"Schuyler, Kim and Jett before the call!"
“Life is what happens when you’re making other plans!” Anyone ever live this line? Yes, I see that hand! And that one, and that one, too!
We were celebrating my son’s 26th birthday recently, at dinner with him and his wife Kim and Jett, just enjoying the moment! I asked him how he got to be 26? He replied, “The same way you got to be 51!” that kid! What a mouth on him! Wonder where he got THAT from? Hmmmm?
We were reflecting on how good his life is right now. He and his wife work for a large company who just handed out 19% yearly bonuses, which they were both enjoying! He just showed me this beautiful wedding ring he just bought Kim because she deserved the ring he always wanted to buy her! I must admit, it made me think…Bella’s gonna want a bigger ring now! Thanks son!
They were on a week’s vacation, heading out the next day to Disney to take Jett for some Fun in the Sun! He told me, “Pops (that’s what my son calls me!), I have never been happier!” and those words are exactly what a father wants to hear as he remembers other birthdays he shared with his son when that was NOT the case. Just to see them happy, loved and being loved…that’s all we want, right?
Went to sleep that night smiling, my baby, my baby boy…was finally happy! Life was good! Slept like a baby!
Woke up to find out Kim had been called in the middle of the night. Her father Larry had fallen out of bed. Had a major stroke, Was completely paralyzed on his right side, Was not able to speak. Had two blood clots on the brain, and Was not sure if he would make it.
Wow! Larry is 49, a bricklayer by trade, one of those outdoors kinds of guys. Always friendly, always happy, always smiling, always helping somebody build something, fix something, move something. That guy!
And now…he was paralyzed, with a feeding tube down his throat, restrained so he wouldn’t pull out his tubes, in ICU, fighting for the life we were just taking for granted! Life is what happens when…you know.
Maybe you can recall a moment when your life turned on a dime! Everything going great! Life was good! You were on top of the world! At the top of your game! Leader of the pack! I could go on…
Then one moment, one event, one circumstance…changed it all!
What did you do?  Who did you turn to? How did you get through that one unexpected event?
As for me and my house, we will trust the Lord! We have asked all we know who pray to pray for Larry. Please join us.
 As I have every other time tragedy has knocked on our door- I turned to God!
Psalm 121 states: “I will look to the heavens for my help, for my help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth!”
Hey, if HE can make the heavens AND the earth, I am pretty sure HE can handle what I’m going through..You just have to TRUST HIM TO!!
So…no matter how your perfect life may suddenly turn south; go to sleep resting in your son’s happy life, wake up to see it all turned upside down--and Disney trip cancelled...
Just remember…Life may be what happens when you’re making other plans, but we know: God has a plan for you, for prosperity and blessing and joy and love- IF you will just look to HIM for your help!

Until next time,
I’m Just Sayin’…
Brother “A”

2 comments:

  1. You know Alan you ALWAYS give me something to think about with your post and this is no different. Thank you so much for this special glimpse of of life in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caught up with your BLOGS! Alan, I am so excited for you... I love what you write, makes so much sense and wow is it true. I must say I am not surprised. After knowing you and past conversations,this is you, ALL YOU! It's like a conversation with you, your insight and wisdom with your uncanny sense of humor is a delight. Keep going. Love it.
    Cindy Hauck

    ReplyDelete