Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, November 20, 2011

"I'm Just Sayin"" by Alan P. Scaglione

“Happy Thanksgiving—With A Grateful Heart!”



“I’m Just Sayin’”


by Alan P. Scaglione

This the time of year when our nation pauses…to give thanks!

It’s one of the few holidays everyone can agree on...

Everyone has something to be thankful for!

Let’s not get overwhelmed by the chaotic planning that sometimes overtakes this “family” holiday with planning, cooking and refereeing!

For this week, set aside the worries and angst of an uncertain future and allow yourself to…have an attitude of gratitude!

We really do have so much more than we take the time to appreciate!

I have been pondering this whole week, counting my blessings if you will, over what I am thankful for.

Here’s what I came up with:



As a nation…for our soldiers, past and present, who stand watch on foreign and native soil, protecting our freedom.

As a human being, for the ability to see the victories and successes come out of so many natural disasters this year.

As a husband, that I am loved by a wife I don’t deserve but continues to love and adore me, in spite of my obvious flaws.

As a father, for the health of our children…none of them with physical or emotional disabilities, all of them able to sustain their families.

As a grandfather, for the joy that my grandchildren bring me, from laughter to tears, as I watch them grow and discover this world for themselves!

As a brother, that I still have my two brothers with me, on this earth, and we share a brotherly bond that knows, if needed, we are there!

As a cousin, that I have my extended family in my life, more like brothers and sisters than distant cousins, and we connect as friends who are family.

As a friend, for the old friends whom I have reconnected with and for the old friends that have always been with me—so honored to call them friend.

As a son, to have had two parents who I know loved me, each in their own way, and are now in heaven waiting for our reunion someday.

As a Christian, knowing that my faith has endured through so much and grown stronger because…I know whom I have believed and know He’s able!



So…before you gather around your family dinner table this Thanksgiving, take a moment, allow yourself to ask the question…

Who are you thankful for?

My best friend Ellen Bullard used to say “the most important things in life…are not things at all, but the people we love and share our life with!”

So remember…

Even if there has been physical pain this year…you are alive and as long as we have life, we can share it with those we love.

Even if there has been emotional distress…you can remind yourself that no matter what you have faced, you did just that—you faced it head on!

Even if there has been employment upheaval this year…you have people who love you and will see you through this rough patch!



We as a nation, as a family, as a human…have so much to be thankful for. We need to remind ourselves of all that we have… and appreciate!

I have been singing this song all week long:

“Give thanks with a grateful heart, give thanks to the Holy one, give thanks because He’s given Jesus Christ, His Son!”

We are a Christian Nation, founded on Christian beliefs—and above all that we are thankful for…we give thanks for a Savior!


I want to pause and share this scripture with you…may it resonate in your heart and remind you …

Give thanks with a grateful heart!

Psalm 100

1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

5For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.



So this Thanksgiving, while you circle around your family table and listen to each member share what they are so thankful for…

Be thankful that you are at that table and not the couple who will be alone, wishing they had their family… around their table.

Just be grateful!

Until Next Time

I’m Just Sayin’…

Brother “A”




No comments:

Post a Comment