Modern Handmade Child

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesday :)

Every once in awhile you come across a recipe that is just the best thing you have EVER eaten and well...this is the one for me. My late mother in-law Trula made this cake and along with EVERYTHING she made it was the BEST! She taught me so much about great food even though I had cooked for many years prior to marrying. This cake is just perfect for this time of year and has the consistencey and heaviness of a "fruit cake" but is far from it.

About 3 or 4 years ago ( can not remember for sure) my neice Sheilagh and her family came for Thanksgiving and traditionally this cake is made only at Thanksgiving and Christmas (not sure why exactly) so I made the cake using Sheilagh's Granny's (Trula) recipe and a very very special ingredient which was my Granny's black walnuts that were in her freezer when she passed and I carried them home with me from Illinois and placed them in my freezer for a special occassion. Sheilagh and I sat at the table that morning with our coffee and looked at the cake which is soooo incrediable when first taken from the oven and contemplated cuting a small slice (no one would know) and we realized at that time that the cake was extra special that year with it being her Granny's recipe and my Granny's black walnuts (I only had 1 cup) which would not ever happen again...we both teared up and left the cake untouched for the moment knowing it would be all the more special when we cut it with the rest of the family.

Enjoy this wonderful cake with your family and make a special memory.

Trula's Apple Black Walnut Cake

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a tube or bundt pan with Pam.

Mix together in large mixing bowl:
3 Cups peeled and chopped apples (red delious/golden delious are very good)
2 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour
1 Cup finely chopped black walnuts

Beat well in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 Cups Crisco oil
2 Cups Sugar
3 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Sir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well, batter will be very stiff (about like a fruit cake). Pour into bundt or tube pan and bake for 1 hour.

Outside crust will be a little crunchy and the inside will be super moist. It may settle a bit when it is removed but this is nothing to worry about.

Enjoy
Suzann


















No comments:

Post a Comment