Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, June 12, 2011

I'm Just Sayin by Alan P. Scaglione

"Mama Mamie n her daughters who still call me Uncle Buck!"

  
"I'm Just Sayin"
by: Alan P. Scaglione

Sometimes, you lose contact with friends; sometimes, a disagreement happens that causes the breach. Sometimes, situations cause you to go in different directions; and sometimes, life just happens and friendships fade.

Have you ever wondered where those people are who were so important in your life at certain periods of the past?
Ever wish you could have them back in your life?
I know I have… And I said, if I had the chance, I would do things differently.
Sometimes…you DO get a do-over!

In fact, in the last six months, I have had five friendships renewed unexpectedly;
I am the one who is better for it. It’s my life that’s gained a friend. They have added value to my life!
And for that, I am thankful.

But…I had to be open to renewing each friendship.  I had to want to reconnect with these valuable people who were memorable parts of my past. So memorable, that I had to choose to put forth the effort to invite them back into my life, take the time to renew our connection, commit to being friends—again! When you get your do-over, you have to open your arms to your old friend.

My favorite scripture is Proverbs 18:24 “A man who has friends must show himself friendly; and there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother!”

I have always known that friendship is a two way street; it’s an investment of my heart into someone’s life.
Recently, a friend commented that I am the most thoughtful person they know; I immediately stated “friendship is about the details!
A man who has friends must be friendly; you have to be open to friendship: not just receptive but open—with your heart.
People who don’t care-- don’t have friends. It’s the people who care who get cared about.
It’s the Word!

So, the value we placed on the fractured friendship determines the willingness to repair that breach in the relationship.
 Some relationships just die a natural death; they served their purpose for that time, but do you really “miss” them?

But…what about those “friends” you have missed?
 If you could have them back, how would it make you feel?
Try grateful!

Each of these five “found friends” honor me with their friendship:
-The Sunday school teacher who I always admired-He lives the Word and treats the world as his mission field.
-The Mama and her children who used to call me Uncle Buck. Her husband was my mentor growing up in the ministry.
-The old time pastor’s daughter who was always a friend to me, even during one of the toughest times of my life.
-The girl who taught me to play piano; and I passed it on by teaching my three children everything she taught me.
-The high school “best friend” who literally saved my life my senior year; she then made me her son’s godfather and named him after me.

I humbly welcome them back into my life and treasure their unique value. I am better for knowing each of them.
 That friend that sticks closer than a brother? He blessed each reunion and made it all happen. I thank HIM the most!

So…for those past friendships you think are long gone, keep yourself receptive. Who knows?
A text message or a Friend request; an email or a phone call; when it happens—just be a friend to your friend!

Because sometimes, the old ones are the BEST ones to have…BACK!

Until next time,
I’m Just Sayin’…
Brother “A”

1 comment:

  1. Alan, this is a wonderful column and lesson on friendship and how God tells us it should be. Proverbs 18:24 “A man who has friends must show himself friendly; and there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother!”

    Says it all doesn't it :)

    ReplyDelete