Modern Handmade Child

Sunday, March 13, 2011

"I'm Just Sayin" by Alan P. Scaglione


Paul and Alan
I’m Just Sayin’”
 by Alan P. Scaglione
What makes a hero? Is it the cape? The superhuman strength? The ability to leap tall buildings? Maybe it’s the cool BatCar or ability to be invisible? Nah...I’m talking about the important kind of hero… the kind that lives among us.
 In your life… What makes a hero?
I am an extrovert; a participator, not spectator; a leader of the band; a “spotlight is on me” kind of guy; I don’t think there is a shy bone in my body…nah, just checked—not one!
So who would guess that my hero is this shy, introverted, kind of quiet, watcher of jeopardy and CNBC guy named Paul. He would rather have a thousand daggers thrown at him than have attention come his way.
He tries his best to avoid it, stay out of the limelight, redirect it to someone else and run the other way as soon as he thinks the spotlight is on--yep, that’s MY Hero!
Did I mention that he’s my big brother?
Paul had emergency surgery the other day. It was scheduled for “In and Out” in 30 minutes. No problem, just going to fix a complication that had arisen, but not anything to worry about at all.
But when…30 minutes became an hour; then an hour became an hour and a half; then an hour and a half become over 2 hours—you start that conversation in your head—come on? What’s going on here?
Then you start that conversation with God! “come on? What’s going on here, God? You would not do this to us? He has to be okay? Come on, please? Please let him be okay! Please God! Come on!”
And then…the surgeon arrives and tells you that he’s okay. Took a little longer than expected (A little longer? Like saying the Titanic is a big boat!) but, he will be okay!
It’s at that moment that you realize…I do not want to know what our lives would have been had it gone the other way. That’s the stuff that makes a hero...we can’t live without them… don’t even want to try!
The Bible tells us to give honor to those who serve well and render honor to those whom honor is earned (Romans 13:6-7).
Why don’t you take a moment to ask yourself, who’s your hero? The everyday one, not the one with the cape! By the way, it’s that everyday hero who is one call away...the caped guy is always too busy!
So…Paul is taken to his room, and we walk in. He says.”I’m on truth serum. Now’s your chance to ask me anything and I have to answer truthfully!”
I look at him and say, “Was I adopted?”
Without blinking an eye or missing a beat, My Hero responds, “Should have been!”
Priceless!
Until next time,
I’m Just Sayin’…
Brother “A”

2 comments:

  1. And I want to update you that...I have given my hero his very own Golden Guilt Card, to be used anytime he wants me to do something I don't want to do...like NOT go on a day trip our wives want to go on, I will have to side with him and say, Nah, I don't want to go! LOL! He is still my hero...51 years later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my hero. Loved your story.
    Cindy
    Glad your brother is ok!

    ReplyDelete